Sunday, February 5, 2012

Savoring the Superbowl

This year, I joined the ranks of football-watching Americans for Superbowl Sunday with some of the best snacks I could think of: Southwestern Black Bean Salsa, Hummus, and Brownies.  However, these snacks aren't just for football days- make them soon and enjoy!

Southwestern Black Bean Salsa
This recipe was given to me by a good friend and, with a few modifications, it has become one of my main obsessions.  I double the recipe, so make half of this if you don't want to be eating it 24/7.
Mix together:
2 cans drained black beans
2 cans drained corn
1 bunch cleaned and stemmed cilantro
about 1/3 cup chopped green onions
2 medium avodados, diced
a splash or two of lemon or lime juice
a tablespoon of sugar
a few cans of salsa (I get the big jug and pour most of it in)

Hummus
My hummus recipe changes slightly every time I make it, so make it to your preference. Double the recipe for a superbowl party!
1 can garbanzo beans
1 or 2 tablespoons tahini
splash of lemon juice
a few dashes of salt and cumin
1 clove minced garlic
>Mix in food processor until smooth
Add olive oil while mixer is on. I usually use about a cup, but it depends on the texture I'm looking for- just get it nice and smooth.
Top with minced parsley, paprika and cumin.

Brownies
This Superbowl Sunday, my roommate made the brownies! They came from a box but I contributed by topping them with chocolate...and then some more chocolate! Nothing better...  If you toss a handful of chocolate chips on the brownies right when they come out of the oven, they melt into spreadable perfection. Then, if it happens to be a football day, top that with a little melted white chocolate in the shape of a football.  I'll admit that I had to look on pinterest to figure out how to draw the football! Worth it!

So the Superbowl is in the fourth quarter and the Giants are behind...Rather disappointing, but at least I can be disappointed while shoving my face full of delicious food!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment