Sunday, February 19, 2012

Chicken and Biscuits (kind of)

While daydreaming about the Colorado peaks I intend to summit this summer, I found myself craving one of my ultimate comfort foods. This dish is kind of like chicken pot pie, but better. It's a heck of a lot easier to make than real pot pie and offers an entirely new dimension...bacon! Warning: do not make this dish if you are cooking for one! It makes a lot! (Obviously I have never learned how to make food for just myself)

Chicken topping
1 cup or more onion, chopped
3 or more slices of bacon, diced
2 chicken breasts
A whole bunch of chopped celery and carrots (about 2 cups each)
1 can corn
1-2 cups peas
1 can chicken broth
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
Several dashes poultry seasoning

Saute the the onions and bacon over medium heat until your kitchen smells like heaven.  Add chicken until mostly cooked.  Melt butter in another pan over medium heat.  Add flour and whisk until smooth.  As it thickens, add chicken broth slowly, whisking constantly to avoid lumps.  When all the broth has been added and it is fairly thick, pour over chicken mixture.  Add celery, carrots, and corn.  If it needs more liquid, add some water.  There should be enough liquid to almost cover everything else.  Add poultry seasoning to taste.  Simmer until vegetable are cooked.

Biscuits (this recipe is from my mom...and it's wonderful)
4 cups flour
1 cup butter
8 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon salt
1- 1 and1/3 cups milk 

Mix all dry ingredients.  Cut in butter until crumbly. (Do not overmix!) Add milk just until moistened.  Flatten to at least ½ in. thickness and cut out into circles (use a glass upside-down).  Bake at 400 degrees 18-20 min.

Serve chicken topping over biscuits and enjoy!

I am about to put about 3/4 of this dish in my freezer and have the rest to eat for the rest of the week.  Good thing I love it!  One of these days I will have to learn how to cook for one and how to not cut myself every time I cook!  Hopefully, you can make amazing food while being less of a danger to yourself!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment